The Department of Telecommunications has issued the draft National Digital Communications Policy, 2018. The National Digital Communications Policy, 2018 seeks to unlock the transformative power of digital communications networks - to achieve the goal of digital empowerment and wellbeing of the people of India; and towards this end, attempts to outline a set of goals, initiatives, strategies and intended policy outcomes.
The National Communications Policy aims to accomplish the following Strategic Objectives by 2022:
· Provisioning of Broadband for all
· Creating 4 Million additional jobs in the Digital Communications sector
· Enhancing the contribution of the Digital Communications sector to 8% of India’s GDP from ~ 6% in 2017
· Propelling India to the Top 50 Nations in the ICT Development Index of ITU from 134 in 2017
· Enhancing India’s contribution to Global Value Chains
· Ensuring Digital Sovereignty
The vision of this policy is to fulfill the information and communication needs of citizens and enterprises by establishment of a ubiquitous, resilient, secure and affordable Digital Communications Infrastructure and Services; and in the process, support India’s transition to a digitally empowered economy and society.